Friday, March 29, 2013

Banking Woes

GOSH I hate banking.

Things were a lot easier when I was in high school, working at Pizza Hut, and only had to run to Members Credit Union every two weeks to cash my check. I don't think I even had a debit card then, my parents had been using them for so long they didn't even care that I didn't have an account of my own. My money was usually blown on clothes, hair, and make-up anyways. Oh and gas, too. But that was back when gas was $0.99 a gallon and I could fill my little Chrysler Horizon (loved that precious little blue car) up with $10 whoppin dollars. Whatever. The point is I don't think I ever actually deposited any money into the credit union account.

For whatever reason when I moved to Bloomington I thought it was a GREAT idea to open a bank account with Chase. I liked the idea of having a bigger bank, and at the time I felt like it was a small bit of evidence that I was growing up and didn't need the account that I had set up with my parents to survive financially. I remember the first time I logged in and saw my student loan money had hit - pay day! I was so dumb then. If I only knew then what I know now...

I started working pretty much right when I got down there for school, and for the first time ever I remember trying to save money for whatever disaster was due to strike. It felt good, but I never did get the hang of it. I remember anytime I was desperate for a little financial help from my Dad he would be willing to help to a certain point, but would groan about how long the lines were at Chase and how much easier this would be if I still had my account at the credit union. Eventually I got to the point where I knew I shouldn't be running to him if I needed money help, that I would need to figure this out on my own.

Things with school weren't panning out as I had hoped.

{Tangent Alert}It's hard to know when your 18 years old what you want to do with the rest of your life. I know a lot of people who knew exactly what they wanted to do and they went and did it. I know a lot of people, too, who didn't know what they wanted but they wanted to finish school so they did and they now have a degree they aren't using. Finally, I know a lot of people who are like me... and don't want to spend the money to finish school just because it's what you're supposed to do. If I'm not totally into something, then I don't give it my all. C's aren't acceptable grades to me, so if I can't go and put my mind to it to get an A or a B, then it's not worth it to me. {Tangent Alert Over}

I landed a job at Author Solutions and started the beautiful process of having checks directed deposited into my Chase account. Oh, what a happy day it was when I got my first real, 80 hour, paycheck. I remember thinking, "well, this is easy! Just show up to work, do what you're told and they'll pay you and they'll insure you!" I never had a problem with Chase not depositing my check, I never had a problem logging into my account, and I certainly never had a problem simply trying to check my balance.

Fast forward about seven years.

Since Sean and I are getting married, I decided I would make the financial stuff as easy as possible for him and transfer all of my stuff over to PNC since he was already established there. How sweet of me.

Lucky me, I'm marrying a man with a finance degree who knows how to handle and save money.

However, from the very first day I opened my account with PNC I have had problems. The website never loads properly - I always get at least two error messages before the site completely crashes on me. Twice now, my card has been declined when I know for a fact there is money in the account (and no, the money wasn't pending, it was just sitting there waiting to be used). And probably the most annoying thing that's happened the last three pay days - "We're sorry, we are experiencing difficulties and you cannot access your account at this time." WHAT?! Why?! It's my account! Let me see my paycheck before I go donkey on your buttocks (is that a saying?).

This never happened with Chase. If for some reason the website was down, we got a nice little e-mail letting us know other ways we could check our balance. With PNC, I've got nothing. No e-mail, customer support is always backed up (probably because a thousand other people are calling in), and their ATM's seem to go offline the same time their website does.

I used to say I hate Chase, but looking back, Chase was good. PNC is like the little brother who can't get figure out how to tie their shoes and they keep tripping all over everyone and everything.

I know a lot of women who are afraid to give up their financial freedom once they are married, but I am not one of them. We're waiting until we're actually married to add my account to his, but besides actually marrying Sean, that is going to be one of the best days of my life. I can't wait until my only role financially is to go to work each day, try to make more money each year, and follow the budget that Sean and I have negotiated.

Have I said, I can't wait?!

This banking nonsense is for the birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment