Thursday, January 31, 2013

Chicken Wraps

My new dish this week is a spin off my recipe for breakfast burritos. I was stuck this week on what to make, especially since I won't be around this weekend to do my weekly kitchen clean-up. Anyone who knows me knows that I LOVE to cook and HATE to clean. I usually set aside Saturday mornings to do a big clean-up of the kitchen from the week before. That way I start the weekend and the week with a nice, clean kitchen. It makes me happier and makes me want to cook more. Win, win! So I wanted something that didn't make a big mess to make, or a big mess to eat. Basically, I did not want to use any tupperware!

I decided I definitely wanted to make breakfast burritos this week. It has been awhile since I have made them and they freeze easily if they aren't eaten by the time we leave. Since I had burritos on my mind, I decided I would go ahead and try my hand at making a delicious chicken wrap.

I found a good deal on the Weight Watchers portioned chicken tenders at O'Malia's, so I had a starting point.  I got the recipe from my Mom for the Bean & Corn salad to put in with the chicken and the end result was amazing. I've been eating one wrap for lunch everyday and they taste like something I picked up from a restaurant. Plus, I hardly have any dishes to do!

Chicken Wraps
8 Weight Watcher's Chicken Tenders
1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
4 Tortilla Shells (I find that the cheapy store brand work better in this case than Aztec)
1 small onion, sliced super-de-duper thin
Lite Butter

Mom's Bean & Corn Salad
1 can Black Beans
1 can of corn with red peppers (fiesta corn)
1 can Great Northern Beans
A couple squirts of Italian dressing
salt & pepper

Bake the chicken per the directions on the box.

While the chicken is baking, drain and rinse the black beans and the great northern beans. Drain the water from the corn, but do not rinse. Blend together in a big bowl, splash with Italian dressing, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stick in the refrigerator with some sort of cover.

After the chicken is done baking, let it sit for about five minutes.
Lay out your tortilla shells, sprinkle a little bit of cheese.
Next add the Bean & Corn Salsa (about 3 tablespoons each), a few pieces of onion, and two chicken tenders.

You don't want the wraps to be too full. You should be able to fold the sides in, and then roll from the top to the bottom so the wrap is completely closed.

Put the assembled wraps on a cookie sheet. Use the back of a spoon to spread a super thin layer of lite butter over the top of the wraps. Bake for 15 minutes or so at 350. After they are done baking, wrap individually in foil and refrigerate.

It only takes about one minute in the microwave to warm them up when you're ready to enjoy!

You'll have leftover Bean & Corn Salad which I suggest you eat with tortilla chips or crackers. It's very healthy, and very yummy!

I put the chicken wrap in myfitnesspal.com and it says that each burrito has about 340 calories - which isn't bad for lunch!

Separately the Corn & Bean Salad has 146 calories in 1/2 cup. It's very filling, which makes it a great addition to any meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment